SPARTA, NJ- The Sparta Board of Education selected R-Pat Solutions, LLC to conduct the search for the next superintendent of schools. At the meeting on August 27 six board members voted yes with Kylen Anderson, Kate Matteson and Jay Ventresca abstaining.
“The Sparta Board of Education looks forward to working with R-Pat Solutions, LLC,” Board of education president Kim Bragg said. “Both principals are former school administrators and they bring a wealth of experience to the process.”
The district will pay $9,900 for their services. R-Pat Solutions is based in Roselle Park, New Jersey. It is headed up by Dr. James Patterson and Dr. Robert Rosado.
According to Sparta Board of Education President Kim Bragg three search firms responded to Sparta’s Request For Proposal or RFP and only one was interviewed. Bragg said the other two respondants were:
- Ed Services Commission of New Jersey with a bid of $13,500
- New Jersey School Boards Association with a bid of $12,500
In a letter to the “Sparta Learning Community,” on Wednesday, September 9, board of education president Kim Bragg released a “brief timeline” with a note that “all dates are flexible and subject to change:”
- November – the board will advertise the vacancy and seek interested applicants,
- Mid November through early December – Survey to be sent out to the learning community and stakeholders seeking community feedback,
- November – consultants will “meet” with stakeholders this month to explain the process. Dates and details to be determined.
- Mid December – application deadline closes,
- January 2021 – interviews to be held,
- March 1, 2021 – goal is for the Sparta Board of Education to appoint a candidate
- July 1, 2021 – target start date, if not before.
According to R-Pat Solutions, LLC they are currently conducting a superintendent search in Roselle Public School. The firm has recently placed superintendents in Mountain Lakes Public Schools, River Vale Public Schools, Springfield Public Schools and Wanaque Public Schools.
Patterson, according to the firm’s website, has worked in education in South Dakota and New Jersey for “almost 42 years.” His doctorate in educational administration and management is from Columbia University. He retired from the Montclair Public School District where he had served as assistant superintendent.
Rosdao earned his doctorate from Nova University in educational administration and management, according to R-Pat Solutions, LLC’s website. He had been superintendent in Verona and South Plainfield and recently retired from Caldwell College where he was Director of Field Based Operations.
The school district separated with former superintendent Dr. Michael Rossi in July, 2020. Assistant superintendent Patrick McQueeney has been serving as acting Superintendent since Rossi took a leave of absence on May 26, 2020. The separation came less than eight months after Rossi secured a new contract with a 13% salary increase, an Office of Fiscal Accountability and Compliance or OFAC violation and ethics complaints.
The next board of education meeting is scheduled for September 24. Additional details including location and the livestreaming link have not been announced.