SPARTA, NJ – The township council approved $2.2 million in expenditures at their virtual meeting on Tuesday night. Ordinance 20-07, unanimously approved, appropriates the money from the General Capital Improvement Fund as budgeted for “various capital improvements or purposes.”
According to Sparta CFO Grant Rome the funds will be used as follows:
- $1.1 million -Road improvements including resurfacing
- $400,000 -Road equipment including a dump truck for the DPW
- $400,000 -Parks improvements including the library bridge over the Wallkill River, a shed behind the Parks department garage for equipment and a pick up truck for the parks department
- $70,000 – Fire Department for equipment
- $70,000- Police Department for squad room improvements including restrooms and showers
Rome said some additional money will go to the Buildings and Grounds department as needed.
Additionally, of the funds allocated for road improvements, $50,000 is the townships matching portion of a Department of Transportation grant received earlier in the year.
Ordinance 20-08 was supported in its first reading. The Bond ordinance would appropriate $754,000 and authorize issuing $254,000 bonds or notes. These monies would be used for “various water utility system improvements or purposes,” for Sparta Township.
This ordinance will have a second reading and hearing at a future meeting.