BASKING RIDGE, NJ – Dayton boys track participated in the North II Group I State Sectional Championships this weekend at Ridge High School. The boys finished in 5th place out of 15 teams with 36 points, one point out of fourth place.
Most of the team’s points came from what Coach Matt VanDeursen called “…some outstanding performances by Senior Justin Ehly”. Justin finished in second place in the Long Jump, third in the Triple Jump, and was on the second place 4x800 meter relay and third place 4x400 meter relay.
Coach VanDeursen said, “Many of our kids earned personal bests this weekend and reached their personal goals. This is a always a tough weekend for the kids to be at their top performance with our Junior-Senior Prom on Thursday, but the upperclassmen did a great job of staying healthy and preparing for both days of the meet. Anyone who finished in the top six earns a qualifying spot at the Group I State Championships next weekend at Egg Harbor Township High School.
Among the outstanding performances were:
* 400 Meter Dash - Freshman Jovanni Salcfas sixth Place
* 4x800 Relay - Sophomore Adam Cohen, Senior Justin Ehly, Freshman Charles Egeonu, Junior Fabian Mestanza second place
* 800 Meters - Fabian Mestanza fifth place
* 3200 Meters - Adam Cohen fourth place and Senior Kyle DeJohn sixth place
* 4x400 Meter Relay - Senior Mark Gragg, Jovanni Salcfas, Fabian Mestanza, Justin Ehly, third place
* Long Jump - Justin Ehly second place
* Triple Jump - Justin Ehly second place