TRENTON, NJ — New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced the crossover ramp from the I-78 westbound local lanes to I-78 westbound at the split to Route 24 will be closed and detoured tomorrow night for bridge deck maintenance work in Springfield, Union County.
Beginning at 9 p.m., Friday, July 31, until 5 a.m. the next day, NJDOT’s contractor, IEW Construction Group, Inc., is scheduled to close the crossover ramp from the I-78 westbound local lanes to I-78 westbound at Exit 48/Route 24 for concrete bridge deck repairs. In addition, the right lane on I-78 westbound express will be closed. Only the left lane of four lanes will remain open on I-78 westbound at the bridge over Route 24. The following detour will be in place overnight:
I-78 westbound Local crossover ramp to I-78 westbound detour
- Motorists traveling on I-78 westbound local wishing to continue on I-78 westbound toward Clinton will be directed to take Exit 48 to Route 24/I-287 Springfield/Morristown
- Continue on Route 24 West
- Take Exit 7B-A/Route 124 West/River Road/Summit/Chatham
- Take Exit 7A/Route 124 West/Chatham
- Stay left to take the ramp onto Route 24 East/Newark
- Continue on Route 24 East
- Take the exit for I-78 West/Clinton
Variable Message Signs are being used to provide advance notification to the motoring public of all traffic pattern changes associated with the work. The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors.
Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT’s traffic information website www.511nj.org for construction updates and real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info or on the NJDOT Facebook page.