SPRINGFIELD, NJ - The Springfield Township Committee welcomed a standing room only crowd to the May 2, 2017 committee meeting.
The residents attended to watch their children receive award certificates for their participation in the Springfield Environmental Commission’s Annual Clean Communities Day contest.
After Mayor Stampoulos swore in new probationary patrolman Emmett Badai, the Committee commenced the award ceremonies, conducted by Environmental Commission members Denise DeVone and Aly Miller, and the Mayor.
This year’s contest project was named “Designs for Magnets,” with this year’s theme designated as “Keep Springfield Clean.”
The contest received 585 entries, according to DeVone, who runs the art contest each year. She noted that it was the “second largest amount [of entries] we’ve ever had, or it may be the largest, I’m not sure.” But she added, “It is the most awards we’ve given out.”
In other Township business:
- Township Administrator Ziad Shehady announced that on May 16, the clerk’s office will be open until 8 p.m. to accommodate last minute voter registration for the June primaries.
- Police chief John Cook reported on several commercial burglaries to offices in the town. The detectives were able to lift fingerprints from one of the crime scenes, and arrest a suspect in the burglaries.
- Committeewoman Geri Ann Bujnowski reminded the public of a paper shredding event on May 6 at the Springfield Community Pool from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Mayor Stampoulos read proclamations for Municipal Clerk’s Week and Mental Health Awareness Month.
- The committee approved salaries and payment vouchers totaling $2,056,194.76.
The Committee also introduced one ordinance for first reading which amends Chapter 35 of the township to effectuate the final requirements of a conditional declaratory judgment entered by the Superior Court of New Jersey. That conditional declaratory judgment represents the Township’s settlement with the state on affordable housing standards.
The next township committee meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 7:00 p.m.