SPRINGFIELD, NJ – Hit by a cannon ball, it survived the Revolutionary War. Now, the Cannon Ball House will be open to the public as part of Union County’s 2016 Four Centuries in a Weekend event - http://ucnj.org/parks-recreation/cultural-heritage-affairs/historic-sites-map/. On Saturday the 15th, the house will be open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and during the day there will be Revolutionary War re-enactors and an exhibit about Baltusrol Golf Club, which held the most recent PGA tournament. On Sunday the 16th, the house will be open from noon to 5:00 p.m. It will be one of 27 historic sites opened to the public for Union Country’s weekend event.
The Cannon Ball House was built, many believe, around 1760. It is one of only three or four houses in the area that survived the Revolutionary War. During the Battle of Springfield, it was hit by a cannon ball that lodged in the side of the house, and so its name. The house was donated to the Springfield Historical Society (SHS) - http://springfieldhistoricalsociety.webs.com/ - in 1953 and has been the headquarters of the SHS since 1955. The house is listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places.
The Battle of Springfield took place on June 23, 1780. Thomas Fleming, author of The Forgotten Victory: the Battle for New Jersey, wrote “…the battle of Springfield was one of the crucial turning points of the War for Independence.” The British advance stopped there. The Saturday reenactment will be done by the Brigade of the American Revolution - http://www.brigade.org/. Many of its members will be dressed as members of the 3rd New Jersey Brigade. The Cannonball House was of six buildings in Union County listed in the event’s 2015 program as the Revolutionary Front Line. The other five are the Drake House Museum in Plainfield, the Abraham Clark House in Roselle, the Ash Brook Reservation and Osborn Cannonball House in Scotch Plains, and the Caldwell Parsonage in Union.
If you cannot make it this time, the other three times the Cannon Ball House is open are the first Sunday in December, the Sunday before Presidents’ Day Weekend and a Sunday in June. It is located at 126 Morris Ave. Donations to support the house should be made through the Springfield Historical Society.