Union County, NJ--The Union County Board of Chosen Freeholders is pleased to announce the new Watchung Reservation Trails website. The new site features an interactive map designed to help visitors navigate the nearly 2,000 acre Watchung Reservation, the largest of the County’s 36 parks.
“With over 47 miles of trails, the Watchung Reservation offers hiking experiences for every skill level, from amateur to expert”, said Freeholder Chairman Bruce H. Bergen. “The new website will help all of our visitors explore and enjoy the natural beauty of this treasured public resource.”
The new Watchung Reservation Trails website was created in-house by the County’s Department of Parks and Recreation and the Department of Engineering, Public Works and Facilities.
The new website is mobile friendly, and its features can be easily accessed from mobile devices. The features include:
- Geolocation (GPS) to help hikers determine their location within the park on their mobile devices
- Color-coded hiking trails for ease of navigation
- Routes can be shared with fellow hikers and friends
- Favorite paths and trails can be saved for future enjoyment
- Bathroom and park facilities locator
- Detailed information on trail elevation and topography
Built-in reporting features also enable hikers to use the new website to report fallen trees and other trail issues on the spot, including photos and geo-location, and to receive a notification once the condition has been addressed.
For more information about the Department of Parks and Recreation, visit ucnj.org/parks or call 908-527-4900.
Connect with Union County on social media.