SPRINGFIELD, NJ - In an email sent out on his mailing list, Springfield Deputy Mayor Chris Capodice recapped a list of construction and paving projects taking place in town, including several projects associated with downtown development.
The Gomes Property, better known as the Lyons building was demolished over the summer in July, with the SPDSAIL property, known as Church Mall being cleared weeks before.
After demolition of the Gomes Property, the contractor has worked to clean debris left behind by the teardown. According to Capodice, the developer behind the Gomes Property be appearing before the Planning Board for final site plan approval in the near future.
At the Church Mall property, developer Charlie Larkin has received Building Department permits to commence construction, and is now performing building demolition work and site clearing. Final specs on the project will include 24 residential units and three retail storefronts.
Capodice also ran down a list of streetwork projects in his email. They are as follows:
- Final paving of Salter Street was performed on Aug. 12 and Aug. 21. Final paving of Brook Street was also completed as part of this project.
- As part of the municipal road program milling and resurfacing of Colonial Terrace, Hobart Place, Riverside Drive and Archbridge Lane between Milltown Road and Craig Road was completed by Aug. 22
- A project grant of $57,500 was used by the town to perform milling and resurfacing of Evergreen Avenue. Drainage improvements will be incorporated in the project at the intersection near South Springfield Avenue.
- The Public Works Department coordinated milling and resurfacing of Shadowlawn Drive and Woodside Road, with final paving work took place on Aug. 29.
- A county project grant of $57,500 was received to perform milling and resurfacing of Evergreen Avenue. Drainage improvements will be incorporated at the intersection near South Springfield Avenue.
- PSE&G recently completed gas main upgrades along Cypress Terrace, Dogwood Terrace, Laurel Drive, Redwood Road and Sycamore Terrace. As part of the project, milling and resurfacing of Redwood Road and Laurel Drive were performed in August.
Additionally, Capodice noted that a pre-construction meeting for the Caldwell Place culvert project was held on July 31, 2019. At that time, preliminary exploration work was performed. He noted that shop drawing preparation and precast slab creation are progressing in that project.