SPRINGFIELD, NJ - Over the weekend, the sectional championships were very good to Jonathan Dayton Boys Track Team.
The boys' team finished in third place out of 18 total teams in North II Group I. The full top five teams and their point totals were as follows:
- New Providence-133
- Whippany Park-119
- Jonathan Dayton-53
- Malcolm X Shabazz-45
- Glen Ridge-37
This is the highest finish for the boys since 2012, where the team also finished third.
Sign Up for E-News
The biggest individual highlights came from senior Adam Cohen who had a pair of second place finishes in the 1600 and 3200-meter races. Cohen ran person bests in the mile (4:38) and two-mile (10:02). He also anchored the third-place 4x800 meter relay team.
Junior Joani Lico added 8 points to the total with a 2nd place finish in the Shot Put. To qualify for the Group I State Championships an athlete needs to finish in the top six in their respective event.
The following people also scored points for the Bulldogs and will also compete in the Group I State Championships next weekend in Franklin:
- Rasheed Sexius-Clerie Triple Jump (fourth place)
- James Tiu 800 (fourth place)
- Charles Egeonu High Jump (third place)
- Kenneth Hardy Shot Put (third place)
- 4x800 Meter Relay - James Tiu, Marlon Villalobos, Spencer Gary, and Adam Cohen (third place)
- 4x400 Meter Relay - Will Brandstatter, James Mooney, James Tiu, and Charles Egeonu (fourth place)