STAFFORD - The Southern Regional Rams with Friday night's victory advanced to compete in the overall NJSIAA Group V championship on Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m. in Session 3 at the RWJ Barnabus Arena in Toms River.
Sunday's championship brings together four Group V champions teams from around the state. Those include North Jersey Section 1, North Jersey Section 2, Central Jersey and South Jersey champions.
Southern has been awarded the top seed. They will compete against No. 4 seed Passaic Tech. The other semifinal pairs the No. 2 seeded Hunterdon Central (Central Jersey champions) and No. 3 seed Watchung Hills (North Jersey Section 1 champions). The semifinals will begin at 2 p.m.
Sign Up for E-News
The two winners will compete in the championship at 7 p.m. on Mat 1.
The potential lineups for each squad is as follows. This was posted on the Shore Conference Wrestling website. That site is located at http://theshoreconference.com
Passaic Tech vs. Southern Regional potential lineups.
- 106 lbs: Freshman Alex Vertedor (29-1) against Southern's freshman Chris Lubeski (6-11)
- 113 lbs: Freshman Laith Hamdeh (23-4) against Southern's junior Jayson Scerbo (20-7)
- 120 lbs: Senior Ryan Khumthanom-Perez (22-4) against Southern's sophomore Matt Brielmeier (17-11)
- 126 lbs: Senior Mohammad Abu-Awad (21-10) against Southern's senior Sebastian Delligatti (17-9)
- 132 lbs: Christian Vertedor (25-2) against Southern's freshman Nik Lawson (6-11)
- 138 lbs: Junior Dylan Toy (19-10) against Southern's junior Robert Woodcock (24-4)
- 145 lbs: Junior John Turkowsky (4-12) against Southern senior Nick Pepe (24-5)
- 152 lbs: Senior Alex Casiano (21-9) against Southern senior Nick O'Connell (28-0)
- 160 lbs: Junior Jamal Allan (15-6) against Southern senior Luke Galan (7-8)
- 170 lbs: Senior Jose Guzman (15-9) against Southern senior Haven Tatarek (17-9)
- 182 lbs: Junior Joshua Curving (13-8) against senior John Stout (31-2)
- 195 lbs: Sophomore Yosue Gomez (16-4) against Southern junior Ben LoParo (22-9)
- 220 lbs: Senior Joshua Jackson (9-8) against Southern junior JT Cornelius (29-3)
- Heavyweight: Junior Joshua Garcia (22-6) against Southern junior Jayden Smith (14-6)
On Friday, Southern defeated Howell and captured their 13th NJSIAA sectional title and handed Howell their first defeat after 78 consecutive wins on Friday 30-28 in the NJSIAA South Jersey Group V championship at Southern.
Southern's JT Cornelius' 6-2 decision over Joe Sardenia sealed the victory for the Rams.
"The wrestlers went after Donkey Kong wanted to beat the best and they did," said Coach John Stout. "This is one of the most proud moments I've ever had as a coach. These guys are awesome."
113: Jayson Scerbo (SORE) over Kyle Nase (HOWE) (Dec 11-4)
120: Matt Brielmeier (SORE) over James McGee (HOWE) (MD 12-1)
126: Nieko Malone (HOWE) over Sebastian Delligatti (SORE) (Dec 8-6)
132: Darby Diedrich (HOWE) over Nik Lawson (SORE) (TF 18-3 2:43)
138: Robert Woodcock (SORE) over Pierce Gomez (HOWE) (Fall 2:47)
145: Nicholas Pepe (SORE) over Paul Jakub (HOWE) (Dec 9-3)
152: Luke Galan (SORE) over Evan Richard (HOWE) (Dec 6-2)
160: Nicholas O`Connell (SORE) over Xavier Kelly (HOWE) (MD 13-5)
170: Shane Reitsma (HOWE) over Haven Tatarek (SORE) (TF 19-3 5:02)
182: John Stout (SORE) over Jake Nase (HOWE) (MD 18-9)
195: Christian Murphy (HOWE) over Ben LoParo (SORE) (Fall 4:40)
220: JT Cornelius (SORE) over Joe Sardina (HOWE) (Dec 6-2)
285: Justin Wright (HOWE) over Jayden Smith (SORE) (Dec 5-0)
106: Ethan Liptzin (HOWE) over (SORE) (For.)