As of today, each of Atlantic Health System’s hospitals will take a new name – medical center – to reflect the non-profit health care system’s expansive breadth of top-rated specialty care, clinical offerings and medical staff shared across multiple campuses throughout Northern and Central New Jersey. The name changes reinforce Atlantic Health System’s ongoing commitment to growing the services available in the communities it serves.
The changes are as follows:
· Morristown Memorial Hospital in Morristown, N.J., will now be known as Morristown Medical Center,
· Overlook Hospital in Summit, N.J., will now be known as Overlook Medical Center,
· Newton Memorial Hospital in Newton, N.J., will now be known as Newton Medical Center.
“Atlantic Health System’s single-entity hospitals have flourished into medical centers, providing our communities with access to a spectrum of unmatched specialty care at multiple facilities,” said Joseph A. Trunfio, President and CEO of Atlantic Health System.
“Through this evolution, each medical center has not only expanded its services, but also has enhanced its culture of healing with patient-centered care at its core.”
Atlantic Health System has evolved over the past several years and has significantly strengthened its depth of clinical services. With a focus on patients’ continuity of care, the system provides easy access to top-rated diagnostic and treatment tools at each of its campuses.
At Morristown Medical Center, the Gagnon Cardiovascular Institute brings the newest, most innovative cardiovascular procedures and treatments to patients and, as a result, performs the most heart surgeries in N.J. Teams at Morristown Medical Center’s Gagnon Cardiovascular Institute:
· Perform more than 1,100 cardiac procedures each year, putting the volume among the top 2 percent of all U.S. cardiac surgery programs, which means more expertise and better outcomes for patients,
· Offer patients alternatives to major surgery, as one of just 20 facilities across the country to perform catheter-based repair and replacement of valves on both sides of the heart.
The Goryeb Children’s Hospital at Morristown Medical Center and Goryeb Children’s Center at Overlook Medical Center offer more than 100 pediatric specialists to care for more than 50,000 of the community’s youngest members. The hospitals’ spine program -- where surgeons perform more spine surgery than anywhere else in New Jersey -- has received the Gold Seal of Approval™ from The Joint Commission, achieving Disease-Specific Care Certification for cervical and lumbar spine treatments. This designation is held by just 13 hospitals in the country.
With the largest team of neurologists, neurosurgeons and neuroscience nursing staff in the state, Overlook Medical Center has earned its reputation as the premier center for neuroscience and stroke care in New Jersey. The Atlantic Neuroscience Institute at Overlook Medical Center:
· Serves as the hub for the NJ Stroke Network – the largest stroke center group of its kind in the state– and serves approximately 40 percent of the state’s stroke patients,
· Became the first medical center in New Jersey to offer both vaccine trials for brain tumor patients as well as CyberKnife radiosurgery for inoperable brain tumors.
The Stroke Center at Overlook received the Gold Seal of Approval™ from The Joint Commission for Primary Stroke Centers and was designated the first Comprehensive Stroke Center in the state by the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services. Overlook is a Level IV Epilepsy Center with a formal Movement Disorders Program that offers its New Jersey patients new diagnostic and treatment options only available at Overlook. Overlook expanded its reach to more New Jerseyans by operating an emergency services site in Union, formerly Union Hospital, and recently enhanced the site’s offerings with a new state-of-the-art imaging center so patients can be diagnosed and treated more quickly and efficiently.
Last month, Newton Medical Center joined the Atlantic Health System family, extending resources into Warren and Sussex counties and parts of northeastern Pennsylvania and southwestern New York. Now, the communities around Newton can benefit from the myriad services offered at Morristown and Overlook. All of Atlantic Health System’s medical centers are connected by Atlantic Ambulance Corporation, which safely and quickly transfers patients by land or by air. The health system also has made a foray into professional sports, now serving as the official health care partner of the New York Jets and New Jersey Devils.
“No matter which medical center our patients initially enter, they are assured that Atlantic Health System has the resources and expertise to treat them efficiently and thoroughly with the utmost care and compassion from the top specialists in our system,” Trunfio said.