SUMMIT, NJ - The home of a 74-year-old Summit resident was rendered unlivable by an early-morning fire on February 27 and -- while the City of Summit Fire Department again performed exceptionally to quickly contain and extinguish the blaze -- the woman and her son lost virtually everything.

Margaret Wanic and her son managed to escape the structure at 51 Huntley Road in their pajamas, but unfortunately, Wanic's son had to be taken to Overlook Medical Center with smoke inhalation injuries. Thankfully, he has now been released from the hospital.

As is its DNA, Summit's Other Fellow First Foundation is rallying to support the family and is seeking the community's support to help someone who has made helping others her calling.

Sign Up for Summit Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

Thirty-five years ago, on becoming a widow with four kids, Margaret Wanic transformed herself from being a stay-at-home mom to a Registered Nurse.  Through hard work and sacrifice, she managed to send four kids to college while still finding time to volunteer on the Gillette Rescue Squad for 10 years. A parishioner of St Teresa Church, she is one of Summit's many inspirations and a true frontline hero.

A GoFundMe page has been set up to assist Margaret and her son. Any and all support is very much appreciated.