SUMMIT, NJ - The first Varsity goal for Javier Del Cid opened the scoring and proved to be the match-winner as the Summit High School Boys Varsity Soccer Team cruised past Plainfield, 3-0, at Tatlock Park. Striker Delmar Argenal found the back of the net twice, and goalkeeepers James Ford and Preston Coke Corkern combined for the clean sheet.

The win is the Maroon and White's second in a row and lifts their season record to 4-3.

Despite what he calendar says, the last bit of summer was still hanging around the Hilltop City with temps hovering near 90 degrees. The toasty conditions brought two water breaks -- one in each half -- and seemed to sap a bit of life out of the contest as well. There were some perky spurts -- mainly for the home side -- but the majority of the match had a Pachinko-like feel to it in terms of flow, which is to say there wasn't a ton of it.

Sign Up for E-News

Nonetheless, the home side had the high majority of the ball throughout as Ford, with the exception of a few crosses into his penalty area, was never really tested.

Some less than stellar defending by Plainfield on a Summit set piece gave the Hilltoppers the lead in the 13th minute. Senior captain Liam Galligan lofted a long ball from the halfway line into the Plainfield 18-yard box and it fell to Del Cid, who used his right boot to steer it into the bottom left-hand corner.

It was 2-nil a shade less than five minutes later when senior captain Andres Chacon slid a pass to Argenal who calmly rolled it into the goal, and observers got the feeling that, while the first goal might have been enough for Summit get the 'W', two would be plenty.

That math would mean a third by the Hilltoppers would pull down the curtain, and that tally came in the 36th minute when junior Connor Little, pushing through midfield, played a lovely through-ball, the perfectly-weighted pass finding Argenal in stride. The senior took a touch and didn't miss.

Credit to the visitors, as they came out and looked their best on the day at the onset of the second half and played hard until the final whistle. The few chances in the final 40 minutes, however, fell to Summit but the boys from the 07901 never found a fourth.

Summit, which has received the number-five seed in the upcoming Union County Tournament, sees its run of home matches continue when they take on Ridge September 28 at Tatlock Park. The match is set to kick-off at 4 p.m.