SUMMIT, NJ - For the first time in three years, it appears Mother Nature is going to cooperate and traditional trick-or-treating will be a go in Summit. The Summit Police Department has released a helpful list of reminders to make sure everyone has a safe and fun trick-or-treating experience.
1. Try to trick-or-treat when it is still light out.
2. Wear a costume that makes it easier for you to walk, see and be seen.
3. If you must go out at night, make sure your costume is light in color.
4. Carry a flashlight with you so you can see and be seen easily.
5. Use retro-reflective tape on your costume to be seen easily.
6. Use makeup instead of a mask.
7. If someone older cannot go with you, trick-or-treat with a group.
8. Cross only at corners. Never cross between parked vehicles or mid-block.
9. Tell your family on which streets you will be trick-or-treating in your neighborhood.10. If there are no sidewalks, always walk facing traffic.
11. Always have a parent or adult guardian check your candy to make sure it's safe to eat.