SUMMIT, NJ - Erected as part of the New Jersey Revolutionary War signal system -- as ordered by George Washington, in 1777 -- the Summit Beacon was, in June of 1780, fired-up and the adjacent cannon, dubbed 'Old Sow,' let off a full power blast.
The British and Hessians were invading New Jersey, through Elizabeth, which was ultimately the start of the Battle of Connecticut Farms (Union), Elizabeth and Springfield. During the Battle the invaders burned most of the towns of Springfield and Union to the ground.
As a result of this alarm from the Beacon and the 'Old Sow' cannon, the New Jersey Minute Men were able to join forces with the Continental forces at Jockey Hollow, in Morristown. They ultimately rejected the British and Hessian invasion at the Battle of Springfield, on June 23, 1780, and achieved a key victory in the Revolutionary War for a very young America.
Sign Up for E-News
The Beacon, which was removed sometime after warning the New Jersey militia, during the British invasion in the War of 1812, was originally located -- where the front porch now stands -- at 226 Hobart Avenue. In 1896, the New Jersey Sons of the American Revolution placed the monument where the front porch now stands. In 1908, the current house was built, and the monument was moved to its present location, adjacent to Hobart Avenue.
Recently, men from the NJ Jockey Hollow Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution, the New Jersey Sons of the American Revolution (NJSAR) along with other participants, cleaned up the Summit Beacon Revolutionary War Monument, which had suffered many years of neglect. The President of the NJSAR, Rob Meyer, joined in thie cleanup effort. The owners of the property, on which the monument partially sits, graciously allowed the dedicated group to perform the work.
A glance at the City of Summit seal and Summit Police Department patch shows that -- to this day -- both organizations' logos continue to reflect the historical importance of the monument 237 years after the Beacon notified the soldiers.