SUMMIT, NJ - Responding to a 4:35 p.m. call reporting a natural gas odor inside a New England Avenue apartment complex unit, the City of Summit Fire Department discovered natural gas inside the apartment of the caller along with indications of recent gas main work outside the building.

Checks of additional units found natural gas present, prompting a recall of off-duty firefighters for additional support. A total of eight buildings were checked, and gas was detected within three apartments.

Public Service Enterprise Group (PSEG) responded to assist and investigate the source of the gas. The joint investigation revealed that the affected apartments all had older stoves with pilot lights that are believed to have been extinguished by the nearby gas main work.

Sign Up for E-News

The Summit Fire Department ventilated the affected units, and PSEG was able to relight all extinguished pilot lights.

The fire department left the scene at 5:41p.m..