SUMMIT, NJ - Annual digital parking permits for employees working in downtown Summit must be renewed on or before September 1. Parking Services staff is available during summer business hours at City Hall -- Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and Friday, from 8 a.m. - 1 p.m. -- to provide assistance or can be reached by calling 908-522-5100.
Employee permits cost $10 per permit and require an affidavit signed by the landlord or manager of place of employment. Once an employee has a permit, they must pay for parking each day. Employees over the age of 62 can apply for a senior permit (proper ID required) for $5. The daily parking fee is $4.
Downtown Employees can park in the following locations:
- Broad Street Garage (Broad Street at Summit Avenue)
- Chestnut Avenue Lot (Broad Street at Chestnut Avenue)
- Elm Street Lot (Elm Street between Morris Avenue and Broad Street)
- Sampson Lot (corner of Morris Avenue and Summit Avenue at LCJSMS)
- Railroad Avenue Lot (behind the Post Office, between Broad Street and Railroad Avenue)
- Maple Street "K" Lot (behind CVS at Maple Street)
- Tier Garage-Upper Levels (Springfield Avenue at Maple Street)
- Elm Street – 48 street spaces available with a permit and the daily fee or prepayment up to 11 AM
If an individual needs to leave the garage or lot there is no need to pay again when reentering any long-term garage or lot. Simply place the receipt payment for that day inside on the dash board of the car facing up so the date can be clearly read. If one changes locations (different lot / garage), call 908-522-5100 or email email@example.com with the location, your license plate and your method of payment.
The City has employee parking at certain street meters in select locations, designated with Green Bags covering the meters. Any downtown employee with a employee parking permit can park at these green bagged meters. Payment can either be prepaid for the month, quarter, or year or through Parkmobile using Zone 1840.
For those having difficulty finding employee parking, contact Parking Services at 908-522-5100 to see where there may be availability. If there are no long-term parking spaces available, Parking Services will grant special permission for that day to park at an alternate location. Without the special permission, the vehicle is subject to ticketing if parked illegally. The fee to park in the DeForest lots for more than five hours is $50.