3/19/2017 at 0203 hrs. - FD responded to a Springfield Avenue restaurant for an activated fire alarm with duct detector activation. On arrival a moderate interior smoke condition was observed. Millburn was requested automatic aid as a RIC team. FD found a large tray of food smoldering on a 4 burner stove near the center of the restaurant. Ventilation was set up to remove smoke. The burnt food was extinguished using water from the kitchen sink. Ventilation continued until all smoke was removed from the entire building. Further investigation stove was off, food ignited from the pilot lights of the burners. Business owner contacted and a fire department response card was left to detail FD actions.
3/21/2017 at 0753 hrs. - FD responded to a SPRINGFIELD AVENUE location for an overheated motor on a water cooler. The electric to unit was disconnected by fire personnel. The occupant was advised to make repairs to the unit.
3/22/2017 at 1400 hrs. - FD responded to the area of 100 MORRIS AVENUE for a medical aid back up for a reported motor vehicle accident with a pedestrian struck. Summit EMS arrived at the same time as FD, and provided patient care. FD assisted with medical care until released by Summit Squad.
3/22/2017 at 2317 hrs. - FD responded to an OVERLOOK ROAD medical facility for a reported commercial structure fire, for a reported electrical fire in the lobby. Millburn FD responded automatic aid as a RIC team. On arrival a smoke condition was observed in the foyer, with alarm sounding. A fire was discovered in the auxiliary heating unit for the foyer area. Building security had knocked the fire down with an extinguisher. A recall was transmitted for station coverage. FD personnel isolated the power to unit, and removed it from the building for final extinguishment. Millburn 5-2 checked the floors above for extension and smoke, with only an odor found. Building personnel would make needed repairs. Alarm system reset and building released to security personnel.
3/23/2017 at 1148 hrs. - FD responded to a WALDRON AVENUE residence for a 9-1-1 call reporting a garage on fire. On arrival there was visible smoke and fire showing from the exterior of a one story detached one car garage. A signal 11 was transmitted to assist at the scene and to provide station coverage at fire headquarters. A ladder truck was requested to cover Summit Fire headquarters while units operated on the scene. Fire crews extinguished the fire with a hose line and conducted salvage and overhaul operations. The fire was confined to the garage area and a portion of the fence in the backyard with no extension to other buildings. Automatic aid was received by Millburn FD who also assisted at the scene.
Summit EMS assisted on scene and provided medical care and transport for one firefighter who sustained an injury on the fire ground.
3/24/2017 at 2200 hrs. - FD responded to a report of a vehicle off the road in the area of SPRINGFIELD AVE & BLACKBURN RD. On arrival in the area with the Summit Police the incident was not at the reported location. Further investigation found that the incident was found to be at the intersection of NEW ENGLAND AVENUE and HIGH STREET. FD found a single vehicle that had jumped the curb and came to rest on the front lawn of a High Street residence. FD checked the vehicle and found no hazards.
3/25/2017 at 1917 hrs. - FD responded to the intersection of ROUTE 124 EASTBOUND and SUMMIT AVENUE for a report of a motor vehicle accident with injuries. On arrival FD found a two car motor vehicle accident. FD established patient care with the occupants of the Jeep Wrangler and the Summit Volunteer First Aid Squad established patient care for the driver of the Toyota. FD secured both vehicles. Occupants of the Jeep refused medical aid. Summit squad transported the driver of the Toyota. The fire department remained on location until the vehicles were removed.
3/26/2017 at 0839 hrs. - FD responded for a commercial fire alarm to a MAPLE STREET fitness center. While responding, dispatch notified responding units of an odor of burning in the main pool area. On arrival nothing was showing. Investigation found the air handler unit 9 that services the pool area had a bad bearing. FD secured the unit. FD personnel set up ventilation to remove light smoke condition from the main pool area. The building personnel advised to call for repairs. The main pool was shut down until repairs made.
3/26/2017 at 1311 hrs. - FD responded for a reported possible structure fire at a SYLVAN TERRACE, 2 family residence. SPD and EMS were already responding for a reported medical emergency. Millburn FD dispatched on automatic aid as a RIC team. On arrival found smoke showing from the eves on second floor. SPD had forced entry into the address and were removing the occupant. FD found an advanced fire on the second floor front bedroom. Signal 11 was transmitted, and a cover assignment was requested from Union County Mutual Aid. An attack line was stretched to the fire room, and a water supply was established. A second alarm transmitted for assistance at the scene. Entry was forced into attached unit to check for extension, and to complete a primary search. A primary search was started in the fire building. All primary searches were negative. On arrival of additional resources secondary searches were completed, and were negative. Ventilation was completed of both units. Utilities were secured. Summit EMS set up rehab for firefighters. Checks for fire extension were negative. The fire was placed under control and all material removed from the structure was thoroughly wet down. Property management workers arrived on scene and started securing both units, once they were turned over by FD.
3/28/2017 at 1237 hrs. FD responded automatic aid MOUNT ARARAT ROAD in SHORT HILLS, for a report of smoke in the residence. Millburn Fire BC 1 canceled responding Summit Fire units in route.
3/30/2017 at 1832 hrs. - FD responded to a WOODLAND AVENUE apartment building for an inside odor of natural gas in second floor apartment. On arrival and on entry to the apartment there was a slight odor of natural gas with zero readings present. PSEG was requested to respond to the scene. The gas stove was checked and no problem found. The building superintendent arrived and informed FD personnel there was a stove accidentally left on in the apartment below earlier in the day. Apartment below checked with the gas meter and zero readings were found. FD personnel setup a smoke ejector to ventilate second floor apartment. PSEG checked both apartments after ventilation complete and found no cause for alarm.
3/31/2017 at 2011 hrs. - FD dispatched To ORCHARD STREET & BROAD STREET to assist police with removing the doors from a refrigerator that was placed outside along the sidewalk.
The opinions expressed herein are the writer's alone, and do not reflect the opinions of TAPinto.net or anyone who works for TAPinto.net. TAPinto.net is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the writer.