SUMMIT, NJ - The Summit High School Senior Athletic Banquet saw eight student athletes -- four girls and four boys -- named recipients of the Howard S. Anderson Scholarship Award, as presented by the Summit Boosters Association at The Grand Summit Hotel.
Each of the eight receive $1,500 to use toward their education. The Summit Boosters Association has presented the awards for more than three decades, which were re-named in 1998 to honor Anderson's long and distinguished career as a SHS teacher, coach and athletic director.
The awards are voted on by the varsity coaching staff, who each select four female and four male student athletes on their ballot, based on the following criteria:
Sign Up for E-News
- Ranked in the upper half of their class academically.
- Have been accepted into a two- or four-year college, technical or business school, and will start classes in the fall term of 2015.
- Have earned at least one Varsity letter.
- Demonstrated outstanding athletic ability, as well as good leadership and sportsmanship qualities.
- Exhibited, through athletic activity, academic work, and other activities, that they are of high character, a person of good integrity, and are a responsible citizen of the community.
The eight Hilltoppers, their sports, and college destinations are:
Cross Country, Track and Field
Wake Forest University
Soccer, Swimming, and Lacrosse
Miami (OH) University
Johns Hopkins University
University of Michigan
Track and Field, Baseball
University of Maryland