SUMMIT, NJ - Eight Summit High School student-athletes, four girls and four boys -- have been named recipients of the Howard S. Anderson Scholarship Award, as presented by the Summit Boosters Association. The 2017 honorees are Abby Claus, Maddie Collins, Chris Heckelman, Matt Murdock, Emma Osborne, Will Robertson, Kira Ross, and Will Schaffer.
Each of the eight receives $1,000 to use toward their education. The Summit Boosters Association has presented the awards for more than three decades, which were re-named in 1998 to honor Anderson's long and distinguished career as a Summit High School teacher, coach and athletic director.
The awards are voted on by the varsity coaching staff, who each select four female and four male student athletes on their ballot, based on the following criteria:
Sign Up for E-News
- Ranked in the upper half of their class academically.
- Have been accepted into a two- or four-year college, technical or business school, and will start classes in the fall term of 2015.
- Have earned at least one Varsity letter.
- Demonstrated outstanding athletic ability, as well as good leadership and sportsmanship qualities.
- Exhibited, through athletic activity, academic work, and other activities, that they are of high character, a person of good integrity, and are a responsible citizen of the community.
The eight Hilltoppers, their sports, and college destinations are:
Abby Claus - Gymnastics, Swimming - Tufts University
Maddie Collins - Field Hockey, Lacrosse - University of Michigan
Chris Heckelman - Cross Country, Indoor Track, Spring Track - Williams College
Matt Murdock - Football, Baseball - Wake Forest University
Emma Osborne - Indoor Track, Spring Track - Yale University
Will Robertson - Cross Country, Indoor Track, Spring Track - Middlebury College
Kira Ross - Tennis, Ice Hockey, Spring Track - Georgetown University
Will Schaffer - Basketball, Baseball - University of Pennsylvania