Try to assemble your kit well in advance of an emergency. You may have to evacuate at a moment’s notice and take essentials with you. You will probably not have time to search for the supplies you need or shop for them.
You may need to survive on your own after an emergency. This means having your own food, water and other supplies in sufficient quantity to last for at least 72 hours. Local officials and relief workers will be on the scene after a disaster but they cannot reach everyone immediately. You could get help in hours or it might take days.
Additionally, basic services such as electricity, gas, water, sewage treatment and telephones may be cut off for days or even a week, or longer. Your supplies kit should contain items to help you manage during these outages.
- Water, one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
- Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Whistle to signal for help
- Dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Manual can opener for food
- Local maps
- Cell phone with chargers, inverter or solar charger
Summit Fire Department (non-emergency): (908) 277-1033
Summit Volunteer First Aid Squad (non-emergency): (908) 277-9479
City of Summit website: http://www.cityofsummit.org/
City of Summit Office of Emergency Management website: http://www.cityofsummit.org/content/8242/8298/9106/default.aspx
City of Summit Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/City-of-Summit/16765882663236
Nixle Alert System:
Swiftreach replaced the City of Summit’s Code Red – sign up at
www.city of summit.org/emergencymanagement
Union County First Alert System: https://www.ucfirstalert.org/index.php?CCheck=1
Red Cross: http://www.redcross.org/
If you have a downed power line or hazardous condition, call 1-888-544-4877 immediately.
If your power is out, complete this form: https://www.firstenergycorp.com/content/customer/outages_help/Report_Power_Outages.html
JCP&L outage map:
If you have a downed power line, call 1-800-436-7734 immediately.
If your power is out, login here with your PSE&G account: https://myaccount.pseg.com/amserver/UI/Login?realm=pseg&goto=http%3A%2F%2Fmyportal.pseg.com%3A50000%2Firj%2Fportal
PSE&G outage map: http://www.pseg.com/home/customer_service/outage_info/outagemap.jsp