Union County Freeholder Chairman Daniel P. Sullivan announced today the County will resurface 12 miles of roadway as part of a $5.6 million New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) funded project.
The project, which will begin in the May, will include county roads in Elizabeth, Roselle, Clark, Rahway, Springfield, Union Township, Scotch Plains and Plainfield.
This project, together with one previously approved and paid for with funds from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA) puts the total miles of roadway slated to be paved in 2010 at thirty-six, which is triple the normal amount done each year.
"Keeping our roads in top condition ensures our residents and those traveling through our area a safe and enjoyable driving experience," said Chairman Sullivan. "Residents from one end of the county to the other will benefit from this aggressive effort."
The following roadways will be resurfaced as part of the NJDOT project:
· Summit Avenue in Summit, from Springfield Avenue to Route 124.
· South Springfield Avenue in Springfield, from Mountain Avenue to Meisel Avenue.
· Mountain Avenue in Springfield, from Hillside Avenue to 660 feet North of Sheffield Street.
· South Springfield Avenue in Springfield, from Lynn Drive to Meisel Avenue.
· Mountain Avenue in Westfield, from Mount View Road to East Broad Street.
· Green Brook Road in Plainfield, from Clinton Avenue to West End Avenue.
· West Chestnut Street in Union Township, from Chestnut Street to US Route 22.
· Morris Avenue in Union Township, from North Avenue (RT #439) to Cherry Street.
· Terrill Road in Scotch Plains, from King Street to Raritan Road.
· Brant Avenue in Clark, from GSP 135 Circle to Westfield Avenue.
· Oak Ridge Road in Clark, from Lake Avenue to County Line.
· Valley Road in Clark, from GSP 135 Circle to Walnut Avenue.
· North Street in Elizabeth, from Lower Road to North Avenue (RT #439).
· Orchard Street in Elizabeth, from Magie Avenue to Morris Avenue.
· Warinanco Park Road in Roselle from St. Georges Avenue (US Route 27) to St. Georges Avenue (US Route 27).
· West Milton Avenue in Rahway, from St. Georges Avenue (US Route 27) to Broad Street.
· New Brunswick Avenue in Rahway, from St. Georges Avenue (US Route 35) to East Hazelwood Avenue.
Department of Engineering, Public Works and Facilities Director Joseph Graziano noted that the projects listed above would begin following the completion of the 2009 ARRA funded projects which are scheduled to start in April and cover roads in Plainfield, Summit, Springfield, Scotch Plains, Kenilworth, Union Township, Linden, Rahway, Roselle Park and Elizabeth.