SUMMIT, NJ - On June 18 -- the day that they were originally scheduled to enjoy their traditional commencement ceremony -- the Summit High School Class of 2020 will take to the streets of the Hilltop City as the guests of honor in a vehicle parade celebrating the graduates.
Organized by the seniors' families and other community members, the parade will:
- START: Butler Parkway
- LEFT on Morris Avenue
- RIGHT on Kent Place Boulevard
- RIGHT on Weaver Street (main entrance of Summit High School)
- FOLLOW the path closest to the school, exiting through the back parking lot, then making a RIGHT onto Weaver Street to Morris Avenue.
Students and drivers are instructed to:
- Start to park alongside Butler Parkway at Tatlock Field by 2:45 p.m. At 3 p.m., the car parade will be escorted by the Summit Police Department, EMS and Fire Department along the route.
- Decorate their car and remember to grab their lawn sign as well.
- Wear their cap and gown.
Note that it is required that the graduating senior not be the driver, so that the graduate can safely enjoy the parade without distraction. Also, no one should exit the vehicles at any time or slow the parade for any reason.
Parents and 'fans' of the graduates should:
- Bring signs, voices and smiles.
- Line up along the inside (parking lot path) of the high school and front of high school on Kent Place Boulevard. Attendees are asked to be respectful of others by wearing a mask as well as keeping a comfortable and healthy distance from your neighbor.
- Not stop the vehicles at any point.
Those who can walk to the event are asked to do so in an effort to cut down on traffic. Parking will be available in the larger Summit High School parking lot but not in the smaller lot adjacent to the Upper Turf Field.