UNION, NJ – We've all heard it already: Winter isn’t through with us yet.
According to National Weather Service, Union is in the path of a blizzard scheduled to begin early Tuesday morning and continue throughout the day into evening with predicted accumulations of 12 to 18 inches with winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts of 40 to 50 mph. Wind chills values are expected to fall between 15 and 20.
The snow is expected to lessen to snow showers after 8 p.m. Tuesday. There is a 30 percent chance of snow for Wednesday. The American Red Cross offers these winter storm safety tips:
1. Have at least a three day supply of water and non-perishable, easy to prepare food as well as a seven day supply of medications.
2. If you need to go outside, dress in layers of lightweight clothing to stay warm. Gloves and a hat will help prevent losing body heat.
3. Winterize your vehicle and keep the gas tank full. A full tank will help keep the fuel line from freezing.
4. Bring the pets indoors. If that’s not possible, make sure they have enough shelter to keep them warm and that they can get to unfrozen water.
5. Avoid frozen pipes - run water, even at a trickle, to help prevent them from freezing. Keep the thermostat at the same temperature day and night to help avoid freezing pipes.
6. Do not use a stove or oven to heat the home.
7. Space heaters should sit on a level, hard surface and anything flammable should be kept at least three feet away.
8. If using a fireplace, use a glass or metal fire screen large enough to catch sparks and rolling logs.
9. Turn off space heaters and make sure fireplace embers are out before leaving the room or going to bed.
10. Charge cell phones and keep flashlights handy in the event of a power outage.