UNION, NJ – The Union Police Department and the Board of Education have been working on a plan to improve the flow of traffic in and around Hannah Caldwell School. According to a press release from the Township of Union Police, the following changes have been implemented:
• A ‘locked gate policy" for the gate onto Hendricks Drive. The gate will be locked at all times except morning/afternoon peaks. This will eliminate through traffic.
• Changed Hendricks Drive between Main School lot driveway and the Deron School round-a-bout from a two-way street to a ONE WAY street heading south.
• Changed existing parking ordinance to allow on-street parking of school buses to load and unload at the rear of the school. Restricted parking on the western side of Hendricks. (To prevent children from crossing in between the stopped school buses.)
• The change will allow parents to use the drop off loop for curbside lane drop offs during morning/afternoon peaks.
• Encourages traffic to exit on Hendricks Drive towards Vauxhall Road.
• Designated new SCHOOL BUS LOADING/UNLOADING area curbside on Hendricks adjacent to existing metal building.
• Hendricks Drive will be restriped and the pot holes repaired.
Officers will be on scene for the first few days of school to assist motorists in navigating the new traffic patterns. The Police Department encourages all parents and residents to familiarize themselves with the new traffic flow patterns before school starts.