UNION, NJ – Elizabethtown Gas is prepared to meet the needs of its customers during the first sustained arctic temperatures of the year. Due to the chilly forecast, consumers are expected to use more natural gas to heat their homes and businesses.
“Our natural gas distribution systems are designed to accommodate the extreme conditions we expect over the next few days,” said Brian MacLean, president of Elizabethtown Gas. “We are prepared, and remain committed to providing affordable and reliable natural gas to homes and businesses across the region on the coldest days of the year.”
Elizabethtown Gas plans year-round to meet customer demand, and has systematically invested in improvements to meet its commitment.
As customers crank up their thermostats to stay warm and comfortable, Elizabethtown Gas is providing the following safety guidelines associated with natural gas:
Customers should never use natural gas appliances, such as ovens or the burners on a stove, to heat their homes or businesses.
Residents should make sure their heating system, water heater and any other natural gas appliances are serviced and inspected annually by a qualified licensed professional.
Elizabethtown Gas customers are advised not to use any defective natural gas appliance until it has been inspected, serviced and determined to be safe by a qualified plumber or heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) professional.
Carbon Monoxide Safety
To ensure the safe, proper operation of natural gas appliances, such as a furnace and water heater, and to prevent a potentially hazardous buildup of carbon monoxide within your home or business, ensure that outdoor vent openings and air intakes are not obstructed by snow or ice.
If customers smell natural gas or suspect carbon monoxide is present in their home or business, they should immediately leave the area and call 9-1-1 or 800-492-4009 from a safe location.
Residents are encouraged to seek medical attention immediately if anyone in their home or business experiences possible symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, which include headache, dizziness, fatigue, nausea and vomiting.
Detecting Gas Leaks
If customers smell the rotten egg odor that is often associated with natural gas or suspect carbon monoxide is present, they should immediately leave the affected area and call the 24-hour emergency response line at 800-492-4009 from a safe location.
Residents should never try to identify the source of a leak themselves.
If the odor of natural gas is present, do not use a telephone or cellular phone, turn light switches on or off, operate any appliance or do anything that might cause a spark, such as lighting a match.
Elizabethtown Gas encourages customers to take advantage of the company’s energy efficiency program, energySMART, which can help them better understand and gain control of how much energy they use, as well as demonstrate where they may find potential energy savings in their home or business.
The program offers rebates that, when combined with offers from New Jersey’s Clean Energy Program, can provide up to $1,450 in rebates on the purchase and installation of energy-efficiency equipment.
Conservation and Weatherization
To keep heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) system running at peak efficiency and performance, change air filters regularly and have equipment checked annually by a qualified contractor.
Open curtains during the day to allow sunlight to heat your home naturally, and close curtains at night to reduce the chill you may feel from cold windows. Keep furniture, drapes, stuffed animals and other objects from blocking your heating sources.
Caulk and seal air leaks where plumbing, ducting, or electrical wiring penetrates through exterior walls, floors and ceilings. Install insulated gaskets behind outlet and switch plates on exterior walls to prevent drafts.
Regulate heat by using a programmable thermostat.
For more information on natural gas safety, visit https://elizabethtowngas.com/safety and follow us on Facebook and Twitter @ETownGas.