UNION, NJ – A fire broke out in Union’s oldest home late Thursday night.

Firefighters responded to a fire at 1835 Vauxhall Road at approximately 11:20 Thursday night, said Union Fire Chief Mike Scanio.  Upon arrival, firefighters found heavy fire and smoke coming from the attic of the home.

Parts of the home were built in the early 1700s, and the home is currently for sale.  Tapinto Union featured the home on June 4.  Click here to read the story.

Sign Up for E-News

Scanio said the roof was quickly ventilated to knock down the fire.  The fire was brought under control in about 30 minutes. 

The homeowner was home at the time of the fire, but escaped uninjured. Scanio said storage contained in the attic was destroyed.  He said the first and second floors of the home sustained smoke and water damage.  The home is not currently habitable.   

Scanio said the fire is under investigation.  There were no injuries.  Mutual aid was called in to cover the town while Union firefighters battled this fire.