SPRINGFIELD, NJ - The Union County Board of Chosen Freeholders has announced that free public Wi-Fi access is available now in six new parks throughout the county. There are now a total of 11 county parks and facilities that offer free Wi-Fi.
“We are committed to ensuring that our recreation facilities are up to date and welcoming to a broad range of activities,” said Chairman Bruce Bergen. “Whether it is surfing the web, mapping out the day, setting alarms at home, or posting photos of their children in action, it now becomes a reality for our residents at more locations in our parks systems.”
The Wi-Fi program was an initiative of Freeholder Christopher Hudak when he served as Chairman in 2014. “In today’s interconnected world, it’s important that our residents have the opportunity to stay in touch throughout the day wherever they may be,” said Freeholder Hudak. “We’re pleased to be able to expand this important service.”
New sites include:
• Ponderosa Park, Scotch Plains
• Conant Park, Hillside
• Warinanco Park Boat House/Spray Park Area
• Mattano Park, Elizabeth
• Rizzuto Park, Union
• Watchung Stables, 1160 Summit Lane, Mountainside.
Existing Wi-Fi-enabled sites :
• The Union County Clerk’s Office at the Colleen Fraser Building in Westfield.
• Nomahegan Park playground, Cranford.
• Trailside Nature and Science Center in Mountainside.
• Warinanco (Park) Skating facility area, Roselle.
• Walter Ulrich Memorial Pool, Rahway River Park.
• Wheeler Park Pool and Playground area, Linden.
Logging on to Union County’s service is easy for Wi-Fi-enabled devices, such as Apple I-Phones and I-pads, Android-based phones and tablets and any other Wi-Fi capable devices. Merely find the Wi-Fi settings and make sure it is turned on. Select “Union County Wi-Fi” as the connection to join. Follow on screen agreements and enjoy.
Safety features are also in place, including having the users to re-login periodically to discourage downloading or streaming of large files which may cause the performance and bandwidth to decrease for other patrons who may be logged on at the same time.