UNION, NJ – In anticipation of Saturday’s Union County St. Patrick’s Day parade, Union police have provided information on street closures and parking.
The parade begins at 1:00 p.m. from Morris Avenue at Commerce and proceeds east on Morris Ave. to Stuyvesant Ave., then south on Stuyvesant Ave. ending at Roosevelt Ave.
The following streets will be closed to vehicular traffic:
- At 9:00 a.m.: Stuyvesant Avenue will be closed from Vauxhall Road to the cannon/clock circle at Elmwood Ave./Johnson Place. Barricades will be erected. The road will be closed to all thru traffic. The roadway must be cleared of all parked vehicles between Stuyvesant Ave. and Elmwood Ave. All vehicles left unattended along the designated parade route will be ticketed and towed at the owner’s expense, pursuant to Ordinance 266-30.
- At 9:00 a.m.: Morris Avenue will be completely closed from Elmwood Avenue to Grandview Avenue in both directions. Parking will be prohibited along the entire route. Vehicles parked in violation will be ticketed and towed at owner’s expense, pursuant to Ordinance 266-30.
- All streets intersecting with either Morris Avenue or Stuyvesant Avenue along the Parade Route will be barricaded and closed to thru traffic. Only local traffic and/or legal street parking for the parade will be permitted. Access to Morris Avenue will be strictly prohibited via intersecting streets.
- The Department of Transportation will set up two Electronic Message Boards on Morris Avenue (Adjacent to CVS, Lowes). The Traffic Bureau will also deploy two VMS Boards at Chestnut near Colonial and Stuyvesant near Kay. These message boards advise the public of the parade and road closures.
Union police have provided the following information on parking during the parade:
All municipal parking lots (except Bonnel Court*) around the Union Center area will be free, open and accessible to the public. Signs for PUBLIC PARKING are in place.
- Public Parking – The parking lots on Stowe Street will be accessible via Vauxhall Road or Pine Ave. Friberger Park can be accessed via Bond Drive. The Burnet School lot is accessible from Berwyn St. The Caldwell Ave. lot opposite Walgreens is accessible from Elmwood Ave. The Biertuempfel lot is accessible from Vauxhall Road.
- Handicapped Parking & Parade Committee VIP Parking - The *Bonnel Court Municipal Lot will be reserved and free for Handicapped Parking and Parade Committee VIP Parking ONLY. Drivers must enter from Johnson & Elmwood and present a valid handicapped ID and/or a 2018 Parade Committee Reserved Parking Permit. Parking is on a first come-first served basis. Overflow parking will not be permitted.
Police also warn parade goers that the consumption of any alcoholic beverage in public is strictly prohibited. Violators are subject to fines up to $1,250.00
Detours in the area will begin at 9:00 a.m.
For full details about road closures and parking, visit http://www.uniontownship.com/615/St-Patricks-Day-Parade-Parking-Detours
For up-to-date parade and traffic information, call 908-851-5001.