UNION, NJ – Residents and local business owners are invited to a public information meeting to hear details of the upcoming Route 22 Westbound / Vauxhall Road project. The meeting is set for Tuesday, July 2.
The New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT), who is responsible for the project, said in a statement they are “committed to developing transportation improvements that best balance transportation needs, the environment, community concerns and costs.”
According to the NJDOT, westbound Route 22 (within the project limits) is a two-lane road with no auxiliary lanes to or entry from Vauxhall Road and has an unsafe condition with accident rates higher than the statewide average. The entry ramp from Vauxhall Road northbound to Route 22 westbound does not conform to current standards.
The NJDOT said westbound accidents along Route 22 are caused by conflicting traffic movements that exist along Route 22 westbound from the Gary Road intersection to west of the Sayre Road intersection. The Vauxhall Road interchange configuration along Route 22 westbound lacks acceleration, deceleration and auxiliary lanes necessary to reduce conflicts between through traffic and traffic exiting and entering Route 22 west at Vauxhall Road and the numerous commercial establishments that front along the roadway.
The project, known as the Route 22 Westbound/Vauxhall Road West of Bloy Street Project, will be constructed by maintaining two lanes of traffic on Route 22 West during normal day time hours. The Route 22 westbound right shoulder will be closed to construct the pavement widening. Construction operations that occupy a travel lane will be performed during night time hours and the lane will be opened to traffic the following morning. A minor detour for several nights will be required for the Route 22 westbound ramps at Vauxhall Road to perform underground utility and resurfacing work.
The project will provide the following improvements, according to the NJDOT:
- · Construct an auxiliary lane along Route 22 WB from Gary Road to the Vauxhall Road exit ramp.
- · Close the Median Opening along Route 22 and Gary Road.
- · Relocate underground Gas Main.
- Modify/Revoke commercial establishment driveways.
- · Reconstruct the in-field areas along Route 22 WB at Gary Road and the Vauxhall Road interchange.
- · Improve the drainage system by adding inlets along Route 22 WB to address stormwater spread at low points and along the widened pavement.
- · Provide a foreshortened deceleration and foreshortened acceleration lane for Route 22 WB exit to and entry from Sayre Road.
- · Provide sidewalk along Route 22 WB between Vauxhall Road and Sayre Road.
- · Realign the Vauxhall Road pedestrian stairway that connects Route 22 WB and Vauxhall Road.
- · Mill and overlay existing pavement with 3 inches of asphalt.
The Public Information meeting will be held on Tuesday, July 2, at the Township of Union Municipal Building, Main Meeting Room, 1976 Morris Avenue, from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. Attendees will have an opportunity to review exhibits of the project, ask questions, and discuss concerns with NJDOT staff members.
Construction on the project is scheduled to begin this summer and expected to end summer, 2020.