UNION, NJ – Seven Union High School graduates were recent recipients of a UTCAO Foundation Inc. Oliver E. Young Scholarship Award at an event held in Vauxhall.
Award recipients were: Danielle Grace Burrell, Jesea A. Littlejohn, Lissette J. Loyd, Kayla M. Miller-People, Alyssia Potts, Ashleigh C. Simpson, and Destiny R. Tullis.
Scholarship applicants were evaluated based on recommendations from teachers and counselors, extra-curricular activities, including community service, and financial need.
- Burrell is attending the University of Miami studying nursing.
- Littlejohn, studying computer science, is at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.
- Loyd is attending Caldwell University studying nursing.
- Miller-People, attending LaSalle University, is a communications major.
- Potts is attending North Carolina A&T State University studying nursing.
- Simpson is studying fashion design at the Fasion Institute of Technology
- Tullis is attending New York University majoring in political science/environmental science.
The Foundation, an independent subsidiary of the Union Township Community Action Organization, Inc. awards scholarships up to $1,500 per recipient. According to UTCAO’s Bertha Mathews, over $200,000 has been awarded to deserving Union High School graduates since the inception of the OEY Scholarship.