UNION, NJ – A few of the early restaurants located in Union included the 19th Hole Tavern/Restaurant, Petersen’s and The Normandie Cocktail Lounge.
The 19th Hole was located on Route 22 East, in the current location of the Burger King. The building was originally a farmhouse purchased by the Nealon family in 1856 who ran a farm on the site of the drive in. In the 1960s, the establishment was The Hitching Post and was a reputed “mob joint”. The building burned down in the late 1960s.
Petersen’s is now The Galloping Hill Inn located at Five Points.
The Normandie Cocktail Lounge was located on Route 29 (now Route 22) West at Fairway Drive North with its back on West Chestnut Street. The building was torn down to make way for the Mini U storage facility.
For more information on Union’s history, visit the Township of Union’s Historical Society webpage at http://www.unionhistory.org.