UNION, NJ – The Route 22 westbound ramp to Vauxhall Road northbound will be closed and detoured beginning 10:00 p.m. Friday, March 27.
According to the New Jersey Department of Transportation, their contractor, New Prince Concrete, will close and detour the ramp for tree trimming. The detour will be in place until 8:00 a.m. Saturday. The following detour will be in place:
- Motorists wishing to take the Route 22 westbound ramp to Vauxhall Road will be directed to continue to Route 22 westbound.
- Stay in the right lane and take the Route 82/Morris Avenue east exit
- Turn right on Ingersoll Road
- Turn right onto Route 82/Morris Avenue
- Take the ramp to Route 22 east
- Take the Union/Elizabeth exit to Vauxhall Road
The $2.2 million federally-funded project will construct an auxiliary lane on Route 22 westbound from Gary Road to the Vauxhall exit ramp in Union and improve the deceleration and acceleration lane for the Route 22 exit to, and the entrance from, Sayre Road. In addition, a sidewalk will be provided along Route 22 between Vauxhall Road and Sayre Road and the pedestrian stairway that connects Route 22 westbound and Vauxhall road will be realigned. Drainage will be improved by adding inlets and the roadway will be repaved. The overall project is expected to be completed in the summer of 2020.
Variable Message Signs will provide advance notification to motorists of the traffic pattern changes associated with the work. The NJDOT says the precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors.