UNION, NJ – Union firefighters responded to a call for a house fire on May Street at about 3:15 Thursday afternoon.

According to Union Fire Chief Mike Scanio, the street was being paved and a Union police officer working nearby noticed the fire and made the emergency call.  Scanio said while firefighters were en route, the officer worked with street paving personnel to clear the street.

Upon arrival, firefighters found a third floor bedroom in flames.  Scanio said three people from the home self-evacuated.  The fire was brought under control within 20 minutes and the fire was contained to the bedroom.  Scanio said the preliminary investigation found the fire appears to have been started accidentally by an unattended candle.  There were no reported injuries.