Cedar Grove, NJ – Several Cedar Grove and Verona senior citizens were recognized by Essex County Executive Joseph N. DiVincenzo, Jr. for receiving awards in the Annual Essex County Senior Citizens Juried Art Show. The artists were recognized during an awards ceremony on Sept. 12 in the Robert O’Toole Community Center in Essex County Cedar Grove Park in Cedar Grove.
“I congratulate the winners and all the artists who participated in this year’s Senior Art Show. The talent displayed by our senior artists is truly amazing and the artwork is inspiring,” DiVincenzo said. “Essex County has a thriving fine arts community and our Senior Art Show enables our older residents, both professionals and non-professionals, to display their original creations where the public can see them. This is an excellent event for us to promote the arts and inspire our residents to use their talents,” he added.
Artists, and the awards they received, are as follows:
- Jane Ballinger received second place in the professional watercolor category for “Impressionist’s Landscape.”
- Richard Hanifan received first place in the non-professional drawing category for “Irish Study.”
- Ray Kowalski received first place in the non-professional watercolor category for “Yesterday’s Rose.”
- Roseann Martin received second place in the non-professional watercolor category for “Sailing.”
- Marie Matarazzo received second place in the non-professional drawing category for “A Horse of Course.”
- John Shiever received first place in the non-professional photography category for “Museum View.”
- Andrea Bruno received second place in the non-professional photography category for “Dusty Gaucho.”
- Del Turgelsky won first place in the professional acrylic category for “Woman with Hat” and first place in the professional mixed media category for “Renaissance Woman.”
The Essex County Senior Art Show and Exhibit was open to all professional and non-professional artists ages 60 and older. Art work was judged on originality, composition, style, quality and creativity. Seniors whose artwork was awarded first place are automatically entered into the NJ Senior Citizens Art Show. The NJ Senior Citizens Art Show will be on display at Meadow Lakes Senior Living, 300 Meadow Lakes, East Windsor, from Wednesday, September 19th through Thursday, October 24th. Viewing hours are Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. or by appointment. A Closing Reception and Awards Ceremony will be held on Friday, October 26th at 10:30 a.m.