This story was updated at 1:55 p.m.
WESTFIELD, NJ — Students at Westfield’s Edison Intermediate School returned to their classrooms Wednesday afternoon after they were evacuated due to an a bomb threat posted to social media earlier in the day, according to an email parents received from Principal Matt Bolton.
“Out of an abundance of caution, we called for an evacuation drill to ensure the safety of everyone in the building. Students and staff have resumed their regular schedule,” parents were told in another email.
The updates from the school ran contrary to an earlier email to parents and a Nixle alert sent by the Westfield Police Department to the public around noon calling the evacuation a “drill.”
“The Westfield Police Department received a third party unspecified threat to the intermediate school,” Police Chief David Wayman said in a press release. “The board of education exercised due caution and evacuated the school. A search of the school was conducted with no threat present. Upon verification of no threat, the school was repopulated and normal class activity resumed.”
Edison is the same school that was on a shelter-in-place lockdown last Wednesday after police received a “concerning phone call in the vicinity of Edison School.”