UPPER MONTCLAIR, NJ - A fire began at the Bellevue movie theater in the early morning hours on Friday. Fire Chief John Herrmann said that "the cause of the fire was electrical in nature" and "quickly extinguished."

The fire was began sometime around 6 am inside of the theater's marquee.

Firefighters opened the soffit area under the marquee as well as ceiling tiles on the inside of the building to check for any fire extension.

Sign Up for E-News

Herrmann added, "There was some slight smoke damage to the interior of the theater" and the marquee sustained limited damage.

Theater officials could not be reached for comment at the time of publication.