MONTCLAIR, NJ - A string of burglaries in the Southwest end of town has prompted the Montclair Police Department to issue a warning to residents.
12 burglaries In the past 45 days have taken place in the area, with nine of these incidents indicating the point of entry was an unsecured window or door.
Montclair police issue precautionary procedure to help residents better secure their homes.
As a reminder, to better protect yourself from property crimes of this nature and from crimes of opportunity, be sure to:
- Lock your doors and windows as a matter of good practice, especially at night and when you are away from your home.
- Do not leave items of value on tables and shelves in view from your windows.
- Lock your vehicle whenever you are not in it.
- Do not leave items of value in your vehicle unattended and when your vehicle is unlocked.
- Try not to leave your vehicle running with the keys or fob inside the vehicle.
- Be aware of your surroundings, particularly when arriving at any location, including home.
- Most importantly, if you see something or hear something, call the Police Department and report it immediately. Any delay in reporting works to the advantage of any offender. A quick response is the best response.
These recommendations are not meant to alarm anyone, but a bit of prevention goes a long way when you are home and when you are away from home.