VERONA, NJ - It’s almost Turkey Time and the Verona Fire Department wants to make sure its residents have a safe and happy Thanksgiving. They recently shared this video along with these tips from the NJ Office of Emergency Management on the Verona Fire Department Facebook page.
"Planning on deep frying your turkey this year? Check out this video before you do to prevent a deadly disaster and the embarrassment of having to order pizza for the big meal," the VFD stated on its Facebook page.
Below are safety tips about using a turkey fryer:
Did you know?
Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires.
Five dangers of deep frying a turkey:
1. Turkey fryers can easily tip over, spilling hot cooking oil over a large area.
2. An overfilled cooking pot will cause cooking oil to spill when the turkey is put in, and a partially frozen turkey will cause cooking oil to splatter when put in the pot.
3. Even a small amount of cooking oil spilling on a hot burner can cause a large fire.
4. Without thermostat controls, deep fryers can overheat oil to the point of starting a fire.
5. The sides of the cooking pot, lid and pot handles can get dangerously hot.
For more Thanksgiving Safety Tips visit http://www.nfpa.org/…/By…/Seasonal-fires/Thanksgiving-safety