VERONA/CEDAR GROVE, NJ - While everyone is focused on Thanksgiving and perhaps planning for some Black Friday shopping, local businesses in Verona and Cedar Grove are focused on another holiday -- Small Business Saturday.
The holiday, which was an idea created by American Express in 2010, gives the local businesses of Verona and Cedar Grove a chance to shine and is held the Saturday after Thanksgiving, which is Nov. 30 this year.
According to American Express, Small Business Saturday is "...the annual holiday shopping tradition that gets communities everywhere out in support of their favorite small businesses. Because when they thrive, we all thrive."
"We want to encourage our residents to shop local and support our local businesses as much as possible this holiday season. We know that's not possible all the time but if people can make the effort and do what they can, it will go a long way," said Steve Neale, Verona's Director of Administration & Economic Development. "Online shopping may be more convenient, but wouldn't it be nice to support your friends and neighbors instead of a billion dollar company when possible? Our online shopping habits are more and more visible as we see vacant storefronts continue to pop up, and we need to be thinking more about the effects that has on our local economy. When possible, please shop local and shop Verona."
Small Business Saturday Facts provided by Farm Bureau Financial Services
- 54% of U.S. sales occur at a small business
- On average, consumers are planning to do 35 percent of their holiday shopping at small businesses.
- Small businesses currently make up more than 34 percent of businesses in the United States.
- There are 28 million small businesses in the U.S. and counting.
- When spending $100 at your local business, approximately $68 stays within your local economy.
- In a 2012 national poll, individuals said that having locally owned businesses is the #1 factor to establishing a strong community.
- Local retailers are more likely to hire locally than retail chains.
- Small businesses donate approximately 250% more to non-profits/community causes than large businesses.
- Franchised small businesses employ approximately 8 million people and make up about 40% of all retail jobs within the U.S.
- A survey by the National Federation of Independent Business found that 83 percent of U.S. consumers say Small Business Saturday inspires them to shop small throughout the entire year.
"We are so grateful to be part of the local business community in Verona and Cedar Grove and appreciate the support they've given us. It's so important to support our small businesses -- they really are the backbone of our towns," said TAPinto Verona/Cedar Grove Publisher Cheryl Brown. "I hope to see everyone out and about on Saturday. We're looking forward to a successful Small Business Saturday for all."
TAPinto Verona/Cedar Grove is an online newspaper serving the Townships of Verona and Cedar Grove. TAPinto Verona/Cedar Grove is accredited by the New Jersey Press Association, and is a locally owned news organization serving the community.