ESSEX COUNTY, NJ — Are you a senior citizen in Essex County who likes to write? Share your stories with other residents of Essex County.
The Essex County Division of Senior Services has officially begun accepting submissions for the 2020 Essex County Legacies Writing Contest. Local residents 60 or older are invited to submit an original story focusing on a "special person, life-changing experience or significant period of their life."
The deadline is Monday, March 16.
"Our senior citizens have led interesting lives, and I am always impressed by the stories that are submitted," Essex County Executive Joseph DiVincenzo Jr. said. "Our Legacies Contest is an opportunity for our older residents to remember their past and share their experiences with family, friends and the younger generation."
Rules are as follows:
- Writers must be Essex County residents who are 60 years of age or older.
- Entries should be original stories focusing on a special person, a life-altering experience or a significant period in your life.
- The suggested maximum length is 1,500 words.
- Stories must be typed or legibly hand-written on 8.5-by-11-inch paper.
- Entries must have a cover page with the story's title, the author's name, date of birth, address and telephone number.
- The story title with no identifying information should appear on the first page of the story text. All identifying information about the author is removed when stories are judged by the review committee.
- Seniors may submit only one entry.
- Previously published stories may not be submitted.
- Seniors should keep a copy of the story. Entries will not be returned.
- The deadline for entries Monday, March 16, 2020. Late entries will not be accepted.
Stories should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
Essex County Division of Senior Services
Attn: Gloria Chambers-Benoit
900 Bloomfield Avenue
Verona, NJ 07044
All writers who submit stories will be invited to the Division of Senior Services Legacies Award Ceremony in May 2020. Awards will be presented to the authors of the winning and honorable mention stories. These stories will be posted on the Essex County website at www.essexcountynj.org.
For a complete list of contest rules or for more information, please visit www.essexcountynj.org or call the Essex County Division of Senior Services at 973-395-8389.