VERONA, NJ - It’s almost Turkey Time and the last year the Verona Fire Department shared some helpful tips to ensure its residents had a safe and happy Thanksgiving. TAPinto Verona/Cedar Grove thought it was information that should be shared again...
"Planning on deep frying your turkey this year? Check out this video before you do to prevent a deadly disaster and the embarrassment of having to order pizza for the big meal," the VFD stated on its Facebook page.
Below are safety tips about using a turkey fryer:
Did you know?
Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires.
Five dangers of deep frying a turkey:
1. Turkey fryers can easily tip over, spilling hot cooking oil over a large area.
2. An overfilled cooking pot will cause cooking oil to spill when the turkey is put in, and a partially frozen turkey will cause cooking oil to splatter when put in the pot.
3. Even a small amount of cooking oil spilling on a hot burner can cause a large fire.
4. Without thermostat controls, deep fryers can overheat oil to the point of starting a fire.
5. The sides of the cooking pot, lid and pot handles can get dangerously hot.
For more Thanksgiving Safety Tips visit http://www.nfpa.org/…/By…/Seasonal-fires/Thanksgiving-safety