VERONA,NJ - The following message was released by Verona Township Manager Matthew Cavallo on Friday regarding the town's efforts to curtain the spread of the coronavirus.
Out of the abundance of caution and to help curtail the possibility of community spread of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), the Township of Verona will be implementing the following procedures effective the Close of Business on Friday, March 13.
MUNICIPAL OFFICES & FACILITIES • Municipal Offices
- Physical public access to all municipal offices (including Town Hall, the Community Center, and the Public Works Office) will be suspended through at least Sunday, March 29.
- The Gould Street public lobby of the Municipal Building will be open to the public weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. for access to the Tax Collector’s drop box and the public restrooms only. No loitering shall occur in or around this lobby.
- All offices are open and Municipal Staff will be available during this time to answer questions and concerns from the public via telephone and email, however no in office visitation will be permitted for the duration.
- All residents and property owners are encouraged to utilize our online payment options for taxes and utility payments and online registration platform for Recreation.
- The Verona Municipal Court session scheduled for Wednesday, March 18 has been cancelled and all cases will be adjourned. For more information, please call (973) 857-4772.
- Emergent matters of the Police Records window (such as handicapped parking permits) will be handled at the Police Department Dispatch window. Residents are advised to utilize the Bloomfield Avenue entrance to access this window. Routine report requests can be requested via phone at (973) 857-4817 and they will be emailed or faxed to you.
Building Department & Fire Prevention Bureau
- Permit application drop off and pick up will be available by appointment only. Please call (973) 857-4835 to arrange an appointment.
- Telephone screening for symptoms of COVID-19 prior to all appointments and inspections will be occurring.
- The Township will be erring on the side of caution and the inspectors will be using discretion when entering dwellings and interacting with individuals. Only essential contractors, homeowners, or authorized representatives necessary for the completion of any inspection shall be on site during such inspection in an effort to limit unnecessary contact.
- All non-essential inspections by the Fire Prevention Bureau are suspended through March 29. o Residential Smoke, Carbon Monoxide, and Fire Extinguisher inspections for resale and rental of residential dwellings for Closings scheduled on or after April 2 will not be scheduled until at least March 30. Any Residential Smoke, Carbon Monoxide, and Fire Extinguisher inspections for resale and rental of residential dwellings for Closings scheduled before April 2 will occur, however; only one realtor, homeowner, or authorized representative shall be on site during such inspection in an effort to limit unnecessary contact.
Department of Public Works – Water Department
- Non-emergent water meter replacements are suspended through March 29.
Final readings of water meters will be scheduled by appointment only, however; only essential property owners or authorized representatives necessary for the completion of any inspectionshall be on site during such inspection in an effort to limit unnecessary contact.
- Centennial Field, Liberty Field, and Freedom Field are closed through March 29.
- The gymnasium at the Verona Community Center is closed through March 29.
- Private events in the Verona Community Center Ballroom are not cancelled however, it is recommended that the host of such events consider cancelling/rescheduling any events that are expected to draw a significant number of people.
VERONA PUBLIC LIBRARY
- The Verona Public Library will be closed from 3:00 p.m. Friday, March 13 through Sunday, March 29. The Library plans to reopen on Monday, March 30.
Due dates for materials will be pushed to April 1 and holds will be suspended. Please keep materials at home and do not return items in the book drop until the Library reopens.
SENIOR TRANSPORT & MEDICAL TRANSPORT
All routes of the Senior Transport Van are suspended with the exception of food stores and pharmacies only
Medical Transport will operate normally. Telephone screening for symptoms of COVID-19 prior to all appointments will occur.
All Boards and Commission meetings are cancelled through March 31.
The Township Council meeting scheduled for Monday, March 23 will be held as scheduled however,the public will not be permitted to attend the meeting in person. The meeting will be livestreamed on the Township’s YouTube Channel. More information on this, including how the public will be permitted to participate in the meeting, will be forthcoming next week.
Overnight Parking Enforcement will be relaxed through April 30. Please comply with all other parking statutes and ordinances, as they will remain in effect and will be enforced. Any parking-related questions can be directed to the Verona Police Department at (973) 239-5000.
GARBAGE & RECYCLING, LEAF AND BULK
Curbside garbage, recycling, vegetative waste (leaf), and bulk pickups will operate on a normal schedule.
The Recycling Center will operate on a normal schedule.
All information provided is subject to change as this pandemic evolves. Residents are advised to monitor the Township’s website and online social media for updates. While we realize that changing normal routines, cancelling events and not seeing friends can be disruptive and upsetting, we are taking CDC recommendations very seriously and urge you to do the same.