BERKELEY HEIGHTS, NJ - Mikaela Texiera of the Long Hill First Aid Squad and Nick Grieco of the Watchung Rescue Squad have been selected among the 14 first responders to receive the Overlook Medical Center Excellence in EMS Award.
As the nation marked National EMS Week, Overlook Medical Center, part of Atlantic Health System, celebrated the important role of EMS first responders in the communities they serve, and highlighted the extraordinary accomplishments of members of several local squads in the region at the 21st annual Excellence in EMS Awards dinner.
"For many of our patients, the care process begins with you,” Overlook president Alan Lieber told the audience of EMS providers and their families who attended the event. “Your dedication is the first line of care, and tonight we want to show our appreciation for the important part you play in our work of building healthier communities.”
Fourteen EMS personnel were given awards at the event. The awards were presented by colleagues, who described the winners’ accomplishments to the audience. Winners included:
- Jim Cline – Berkeley Heights Volunteer Rescue Squad
- Richard Crater – Chatham Emergency Squad
- Bill Weslosky – Clark Volunteer Rescue Squad
- Brian Siwek – Cranford First Aid Squad
- Karolyn Buckridee – Fanwood Rescue Squad
- Mikaela Teixeira – Long Hill First Aid Squad
- Julius Korn – Mountainside Rescue Squad
- Teresa Nell – New Providence Rescue Squad
- Susan Baldani – Scotch Plains Rescue Squad
- Marla Napurano – Spríngfield First Aid Squad
- Cindy Catao – Union Emergency Medical Unit
- Nick Grieco – Watchung Rescue Squad
- Sergio Guzman – Westfield Rescue Squad
Overlook also recognized two members of its emergency department staff for their accomplishments:
- Jessica Delgado-Days, a patient care technician at the emergency department at Overlook’s main campus in Summit.
- Jennifer Carillo, a patient care technician at the Overlook Medical Center Union Campus’s emergency department