HALEDON, NJ - A report was received by the Haledon Police Department of a "customer dispute involving a handgun" taking place at the Metro PCS Store, found at 428 Haledon Avenue, on 6:10 p.m. on Saturday, February 20.  Haledon Police Sergeant George Kelly with Police Officers April Latona and Michael Palmer responded to the call and arrived at the store.

According to the Haledon Police Department, a 21-year-old Haledon man, Michael Surak, had brandished a pistol and chambered a round into the weapon during a dispute.  When the police arrived, they ordered him to show them his hands and converged on the man.  The police said that they noticed a bulge on the side of the man's jacket.  He was patted down and brought to the floor, where the police found a pistol described as a German Sport Guns 1911 American Tactical .22 caliber handgun in his left pocket.  There was a bullet loaded into the chamber and Surak was arrested "without further incident."

Police Chief Angelo J. Daniele offered his praise for the officers as well.  "I am tremendously proud of these fine officers.  They demonstrated the utmost restraint and steadfastness.  Their swift actions averted a senseless act of violence.  I commend them."

Sign Up for Wayne Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

Lt. George Guzman, Public Information Officer, said, "Our officers quickly responded to the scene without delay. Thankfully, no one was injured during this incident. The responding officers should be lauded for their precision and professionalism."

Surak was charged with possession of a handgun (a 2nd degree crime), possession of a handgun for an unlawful purpose (a 2nd degree crime), and possession of a defaced handgun (a 4th degree crime).  He was taken to the Passaic County Jail and is awaiting an appearance in Central Judicial Processing Court.

The Haledon Police Department said "Mr. Surak is presumed innocent until proven guilty, beyond a reasonable doubt, in a court of law."