WAYNE, NJ – For many of us, the COVID-19 pandemic will be nothing but a big inconvenience. We are the lucky ones. For some, the pandemic will be tragic. Today, during his COVID briefing, Mayor Chris Vergano announced one death. It was a friend and a neighbor of his.
“We lost a 62-year-old female after a long and courageous fight with COVID-19,” Vergano said. “She was not in a long-term care facility. She was actually a friend; a neighbor of ours and someone that I've known for at least 25 years.”
“I am certain that many of you will be saddened to hear of her passing,” he continued. “The reason I point this out, is day-after-day, I report that approximately 80% of the COVID deaths have occurred in long-term care centers. This one did not. This was a person who lived at home; who was my neighbor and a longtime resident of Wayne Township. So it can happen to anyone.”
Vergano then went on to report three additional positive cases for Wayne, bringing the total positive number to 1,347. The total number of Wayne residents who have tested negative is: 2,706 and the total number of deaths due to COVID is 165.
All three new positive cases were from long-term care facilities. ZERO new cases were reported for the general public today.
The new positive cases include:
- Men: 1
- Women: 2
- Average Age: 61
After his announcements, the Mayor ended with a warning not to think the pandemic is over just because the numbers have lowered. “It can still happen to any one of us, so we still need to protect each other. Let’s do this.”
There will be no update tomorrow Sunday.
The Mayor’s announcements included:
- Sweatshirts and T-shirts are on sale with a ‘Wayne Strong’ message. Proceeds will help support Wayne Helping Hands who help to feed Wayne residents in need.
- Passaic County CASA is selling “Thank you to the Heroes Among Us” signs as a fundraiser. Go to their website to purchase: www.PassaicCountyCASA.org
- Free COVID testing will soon be available for residents of Sienna Village, Cisco Village, Summerhill Apartments and the Four Seasons. The testing is voluntary and will happen at the resident’s home.
- The Wayne Public Library is open for curbside delivery, drop-off and pickup.
- The COVID Testing site in Passaic County is open Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 9am – 12pm. Anyone can be tested for COVID-19 as long as they are Passaic County residents.
- The testing site is looking for volunteers. To volunteer email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Wayne Farmer’s Market is open for pick-up only on every Saturday.
- Food must be pre-ordered by Wednesday.
- See story for more information
- Click here for a list of food retailers that remain open in Wayne
- Cloth face coverings are required in retail stores and other areas of close contact with others.
- Do not throw disposable gloves and masks on the ground.
- STAY SIX-FEET AWAY FROM EACH OTHER. NO CONGREGATING
- Local food stores have special hours for people at high-risk:
- Stop and Shop is open from 6:00 AM to 7:30 AM everyday
- Trader Joe's is open from 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM every day
- Costco is open 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM on Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday
- ShopRite is open from 7:00 AM to 8:00 AM on Wednesdays
- Jack’s Super Foodtown is open from 6:30 AM to 7:30 AM
- The WIN Food Pantry is in need of monetary donations to feed the hungry citizens of Wayne. Click here for their website: http://www.winfoodpantry.org/
- The Township Memorial Day Parade is postponed to Labor Day
- Wayne day has been moved to September 13th
- The annual shredding event was moved to June 20th
- Primary Election Day has been moved to July 7
- The last day to register to vote prior to this is June 16
- Property Taxes for the Second Quarter are due on May 1. The Township will be waiving interest and penalties for those who are unable to make their payment on time for accounts owing $10,000 or less until Friday June 1
- He gave an update on the FLAG of Greater Wayne group who are feeding and supporting front-line healthcare workers and first responders. You can find their Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/214967119732121/