WAYNE, NJ – Yesterday, Jeffrey A. Mulcahy, 58, of Wayne pleaded guilty to one count of assault with a dangerous weapon with intent to do bodily harm, according to a statement made by U.S. Attorney Craig Carpenito.

The incident occurred on September 2, 2019 near the Delaware Water Gap when Mulcahy held two victims at gunpoint and attempted to tie them up before they fought back and escaped.

According to court documents and previous reports, the victims were a couple swimming in the Delaware River in the Kittatiny Point area of the Delaware Water Gap.  Mulcahy approached the two and began chatting about fishing for a few minutes before leaving. 

Sign Up for Wayne Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

He came back with a can of beer fifteen minutes later, restarting the fishing conversation.  One of the victims stated that Mulcahy seemed “agitated.”  When the couple got out of the river and began toweling off, Mulcahy pulled a pistol from the waistband of his pants and pointed it at the female’s head ordering the pair to the ground.

Mulcahy threatened to kill the woman if the male wouldn’t listen. He then struck the male in the “head and neck area” with the gun before trying to tie him up with a rope.  The male victim grabbed Mulcahy and wrestled him to the ground, where the two began to struggle. 

The gun fell from the would-be kidnaper's hands. The woman grabbed it and ran off to alert the police. 

Mulcahy fled the scene, and the male went after the female.  He then observed Mulcahy driving off in a white van and memorized the license plate, according to previous reports.  When park police arrived, it was discovered that the handgun recovered from Mulcahy was actually a pellet gun

An APB went out and an off-duty firefighter reported that he was following the van on Route 46 in Independence, NJ.  Police caught up and tried to stop him, but Mulcahy did not comply, initially. According to reports, Mulcahy threw a bloody t-shirt out of the car before eventually pulling over on the highway and being apprehended by law enforcement in Hackettstown.

More than thirteen months later, Mulcahy has pled guilty. The charge of assault with a dangerous weapon with intent to do bodily harm carries a maximum punishment of 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.

U.S. Attorney Carpenito credited park rangers of the U.S. National Park Service, under the direction of Chief Ranger Eric Lisnik, the Hackettstown Police Department, under the direction of Chief James A. Macaulay, and the N.J. State Police, under the direction of Col. Patrick J. Callahan, with the investigation leading to today’s guilty plea.

The government is represented by Assistant U.S. Attorney Nicholas P. Grippo, Deputy Chief of the Criminal Division in Newark.

Defense counsel: Andrea Bergman Esq., Assistant Federal Public Defender, Trenton

Sentencing is scheduled for March 4, 2021.