TRENTON, NJ - New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced daytime ramp and overnight lane closures as the Route 3/Route 46 interchange improvement project advances in Passaic County. The Valley Road ramp to Route 3 eastbound/Route 46 eastbound will be closed daily from 9 a.m. through 3 p.m., Monday through Friday; on Tuesday the Route 3 eastbound ramp to Grove street will be closed; and on Thursday the Route 46 eastbound ramp to Valley Road will be closed.
The Valley Road ramp to Route 3/Route 46 eastbound is scheduled to be closed and detoured daily from 9 a.m. through 3 p.m. this week, Monday, March 2 through Friday, March 6. The daytime closures are necessary to clear vegetation, stripe the roadway, and install temporary fencing between the Valley Road ramp and nearby houses. The following signed detour will be in place between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. throughout the week:
Valley Road to Route 3 eastbound/Route 46 eastbound detour:
(Monday, March 2 through Friday, March 6, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.)
- Motorists wishing to travel from Valley Road to Route 3 eastbound/Route 46 eastbound will be directed to continue on Valley Road
- Turn left onto Great Notch Road
- Turn left onto Clove Road
- Keep right and follow the roundabout to Route 46 eastbound
- Continue on Route 46 eastbound or take the ramp to Route 3 eastbound
Beginning at 9 a.m., Thursday, March 5 until 3 p.m., the ramp from Route 46 eastbound to Valley Road northbound will be closed and detoured. The following signed detour will be in place:
Route 46 eastbound to Valley Road northbound detour:
(Thursday, March 5, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.)
- Motorists wishing to take Route 46 eastbound to Valley Road northbound will be directed to take the ramp towards Route 3 eastbound
- Continue on Route 3 eastbound and take the ramp to Grove Street
- Turn left onto Grove Street Turn right onto the ramp to Route 3 westbound
- Continue onto Route 46 westbound
- Keep right and take the ramp towards Great Notch Road
- Keep right at the fork and turn right onto Great Notch Road
- Turn left onto Valley Road northbound
Overnight Lane Closures
In addition to daytime ramp closures, motorists should expect nighttime lane closures throughout the week on Route 3 and Route 46 between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m.. At least one lane of traffic will be maintained at all times overnight.
The $189 million federally-funded Contract B portion of the the Route 3, Route 46, Valley Road and Notch/Rifle Camp Road Interchange Improvements project includes the realignment and widening of Route 46, as well as the construction of wider shoulders, acceleration, deceleration, and auxiliary lanes. At the Route 3/Route 46 interchange, a three lane Route 3 section will replace the existing two lane connections, and Route 46 will be realigned to better converge with Route 3. The new interchange includes four new bridge structures, a new signalized intersection, and a new multi-lane roundabout. This work is anticipated to be complete in 2024.
Contract A, which was completed in fall 2019, included the construction the new Great Notch Road Road, a new bridge over Route 46 from Great Notch Road to Clove Road, three signalized intersections, and two single-lane roundabouts parallel to Route 46 westbound to remove local traffic from the state highway.
Variable message signs are being utilized throughout the project limits to provide advance notification to motorists of all traffic pattern changes associated with the interchange improvements project. Throughout the project, NJDOT will provide information on upcoming road or ramp closures. The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT's traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info or on the NJDOT Facebook page.