WAYNE, NJ – As he did the night before at the Wayne Town Council meeting, Vergano announced during his May 21 daily briefing that residents of Sienna Village, Cisco Village, the Summerhill Apartments, and the Four Seasons complex (four of Wayne’s senior housing facilities) would be offered a free COVID testing program.
“Details will be made available next week,” said Vergano.
The cost of the testing is being covered by COVID-19 grants made available by the State, so it is free to the residents of these four facilities. Testing is all voluntary and will be done by staff from Chilton Medical Center. Appointments will be required, and the testing will happen at each person’s home.
“Details will be announced next week,” said Vergano. “it's not mandatory; it's all voluntary. if you want to get tested just sign up and will take care of that for you.
The Daily Numbers
“The state of New Jersey has, unfortunately advised us of five of our elderly residents who passed away at our long-term care facilities due to COVID-19,” Vergano said. “Three additional residents have passed away at home.”
The three who died at home were aged 70, 86 and 93. The total number of Wayne residents who have died fromthe virus is now 151.
The Mayor also said that 12 new positive cases have been reported to him. Five of those cases came from nursing homes and seven were from the Wayne general population.
The new positive cases included:
- Men: 5
- Women: 7
- Average Age: 61
- Age Range: 28 - 96
Total number of positive cases for Wayne residents is: 1,292
Total number of negative results for Wayne residents is: 2,190
Vergano also mentioned an update to the June primary, which has been delayed to July 7. The primary will be 100% Vote-By-Mail.
“On Monday, May 15, New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy signed executive order number 144 which states every registered voter will receive a vote-by-mail ballot or application for the July 7, 2020 primary election,” the Mayor said.
The Memorial Day parade has been moved to Labor Day, but the Township will still be holding a wreath-laying ceremony in front of Town Hall. Residents are advised to watch from home at 11:00 a.m. on channel 77.
The Mayor’s announcements included:
- Sweatshirts and T-shirts are on sale with a ‘Wayne Strong’ message. Proceeds will help support Wayne Helping Hands who help to feed Wayne residents in need.
- Passaic County CASA is selling “Thank you to the Heroes Among Us” signs as a fundraiser. Go to their website to purchase: www.PassaicCountyCASA.org
- The COVID Testing site in Passaic County is looking for volunteers. To volunteer, email: email@example.com
- The Wayne Farmer’s Market is open for pick-up only on every Saturday in May.
- Food must be pre-ordered by Wednesday.
- See story for more information
- Click here for a list of food retailers that remain open in Wayne
- Cloth face coverings are required in retail stores and other areas of close contact with others.
- Do not throw disposable gloves and masks on the ground.
- STAY SIX-FEET AWAY FROM EACH OTHER. NO CONGREGATING
- Local food stores have special hours for people at high-risk:
- Stop and Shop is open from 6:00 AM to 7:30 AM everyday
- Trader Joe's is open from 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM every day
- Costco is open 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM on Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday
- ShopRite is open from 7:00 AM to 8:00 AM on Wednesdays
- Jack’s Super Foodtown is open from 6:30 AM to 7:30 AM
- The WIN Food Pantry is in need of monetary donations to feed the hungry citizens of Wayne. Click here for their website: http://www.winfoodpantry.org/
- The Township Memorial Day Parade is postponed to Labor Day
- Wayne day has been moved to September 13th
- The annual shredding event was moved to June 20th
- Primary Election Day has been moved to July 7
- The last day to register to vote prior to this is June 16
- Property Taxes for the Second Quarter are due on May 1. The Township will be waiving interest and penalties for those who are unable to make their payment on time for accounts owing $10,000 or less until Friday June 1
- He gave an update on the FLAG of Greater Wayne group who are feeding and supporting front-line healthcare workers and first responders. You can find their Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/214967119732121/