WAYNE, NJ – Mayor Chris Vergano gave his daily coronavirus briefing, sharing the updated numbers for the township and making announcements. When he was finished, the Mayor shared a video made by the Wayne Education Association as a tribute to teachers during National Teacher Appreciation Week.
You can view the video here. The tribute begins at 11:35
Vergano, as he always does, began with the bad news: “The State of New Jersey has advised us of one new death,” he said. This brings the Township’s cumulative total to 105.
The lone death was a 90-year-old male who died on April 24.
“I can also report that we have an additional twenty-six positive test results,” he said. The Township’s cumulative total is now 963. Of these twenty-six, eleven are from the twelve long-term care facilities in Wayne, and all of the results come from samples collected over the last several weeks.
The positive cases include:
- Men: 11
- Women: 15
- Average Age: 58
- Age Range: 23 - 93
Eight Wayne residents are currently being treated in local hospitals.
Vergano again explained that the delay in test results were due to the various labs that the County, State and individual physicians use. “Some are very, very slow so you really don't get an accurate number of what's going on at any point in time,” he said. The Mayor reports the numbers to the Township as he receives the information.
Who is in charge of inspecting and regulating the nursing homes in Wayne? This is a question that the Mayor addressed, saying that the State Department of Health, Division of Health Facilities Licensing and Evaluation inspect and ensure the compliance of all aspects of nursing homes, except for one.
“The only inspections [Wayne Township’s Health Department] does in nursing homes, is the food process and how the food is prepared,” said Vergano. “Every other inspection is done by the New Jersey State Department of Health. I hope everybody understands that now because it's very clear on the line of authority.”
Vergano ended his briefing by saying: “The governor has ruled today that schools will remain closed for the remainder of the year. I'm sure that's a heartbreak to many people. We will get through this as I’ve said before. This community is shining a bright light during this pandemic and I want to thank everybody for all that they have done.”
The Mayor’s announcements included:
- Passaic County CASA is selling “Thank you to the Heroes Among Us” signs as a fundraiser. Go to their website to purchase: www.PassaicCountyCASA.org
- The COVID Testing site in Passaic County is looking for volunteers. To volunteer, email: email@example.com
- Click here for a list of food retailers that remain open in Wayne
- Cloth face coverings are required in retail stores and other areas of close contact with others.
- Do not throw disposable gloves and masks on the ground.
- STAY SIX-FEET AWAY FROM EACH OTHER. NO CONGREGATING
- Local food stores have special hours for people at high-risk:
- Stop and Shop is open from 6:00 AM to 7:30 AM everyday
- Trader Joe's is open from 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM every day
- Costco is open 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM on Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday
- ShopRite is open from 7:00 AM to 8:00 AM on Wednesdays
- Jack’s Super Foodtown is open from 6:30 AM to 7:30 AM
- The WIN Food Pantry is in need of monetary donations to feed the hungry citizens of Wayne. Click here for their website: http://www.winfoodpantry.org/
- The Township Memorial Day Parade is postponed to Labor Day
- Wayne day has been moved to September 13th
- The annual shredding event was moved to June 20th
- Primary Election Day has been moved to July 7
- The last day to register to vote prior to this is June 16
- Property Taxes for the Second Quarter are due on May 1. The Township will be waiving interest and penalties for those who are unable to make their payment on time for accounts owing $10,000 or less until Friday June 1
- He gave an update on the FLAG of Greater Wayne group who are feeding and supporting front-line healthcare workers and first responders. You can find their facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/214967119732121/